AMRUT is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme under Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India. The Mission was launched on 25thJune 2015 by Hon. Prime Minister Sri. NarendraModi.
Purpose of AMRUT
· The National Priority is to create infrastructure
· to provide basic services to households
· to build amenities
· This will improve the quality of life of all, especially the poor and the disadvantaged.
· The infrastructure should lead to provision of better services to people
AMRUT aims to support 500 cities having a population greater than one lakh (100,000) during the five year Mission Period – from 2015 – 2020.
· Cooperative federalism – Freedom to States/ULBs to design and implement.
· Service Delivery – Focus on infrastructure that leads to delivery of services to citizens.
· Reforms Incentivised – 10% incentive for Achievement of Reforms.
· Capacity building strategy – Individual and Institutional
· O&M of infrastructure built-in at Planning stage itself.
· Focus on Planning before hand
· Service Level Improvement Plans (SLIP)
· State Annual Action Plan (SAAP)