Any citizen of India who desires to obtain any information under the Right to Information Act, 2005 may make a request to the Public Information Officer/Assistant Public Information Officer, preferably in the application format, in writing or through electronic means.
The application for obtaining information under sub-section (1) of section 6 of RTI Act, 2005, shall be made, accompanied by an application fee. At present, the application fee which is subject to change from time to time, is as under:
Application fee: Rs. 10/- (Rupees ten only)
Mode of payment: By cash against proper receipt or by demand draft/banker's cheque/Indian Postal Order drawn in favour of Secretary, Kochi Municipal Corporation payable at local office where the application is submitted.
- Persons who belong to BPL category are not required to pay the application fee provided necessary supporting documents are produced.
In case it is decided to provide the information, the applicant shall be informed of the additional fees required to be deposited by him/her for the information sought and information shall be furnished after the deposit of the fee by the Requester, as per the Act.
At present, the applicable rates, which are subject to change from time to time, are given as under:-
- For each page (in A-4 or A-3 size paper) created or copied, Rs. 2/- per page
- For a copy in larger size paper, actual charge or cost price
- For samples or models, actual cost or price
- For inspection of records, no fee for the first hour and Rs.5/hr. thereafter
Further, for providing the information under sub-section (5) of Section 7, the fee shall be charged at the following rates:
- For information provided in diskette or floppy- Rs. 50/- per diskette or floppy
- For information provided in printed form- At the price fixed for such publication or Rs.2/- per page of photocopy for extracts from the publication
The mode of payment of above-mentioned additional fees shall be the same as application fee.
In case the applicant does not receive sought information within the time specified in sub-section (1) or clause (a) of sub-section (3) of section 7, or is aggrieved by a decision of the PIO, as the case may be, he may prefer an appeal to the Departmental Appellate Authority within thirty days from the receipt of such a decision.